Winter Eye Care Tips from Our Optometrist in Lutz, FL
The most common eye problem affecting people of all ages during winter is dry eye accompanied by burning, tearing and itching. Cooler, drier air not only reduces moisture content in your eyes but also tends to dehydrate thin, sensitive skin around your eyes. In addition to suffering symptoms of dry eye, Lutz, FL residents may experience drier than normal eyelid skin that worsens symptoms of itchiness, burning and excessive tearing.
Our optometrist can relieve dry eye irritation by prescribing eye drops to help restore fluid balance in your eyes. In addition, if your optometrist finds tear duct or tear gland abnormalities are causing dry eye, other treatments are available including minimally invasive use of lasers to improve fluid retention in the eye.
Keeping Your Eyes Healthy During Winter
In addition to using wetting eye drops and visiting your Lutz FL optometrist for an exam, tips for avoiding eye problems during winter include:
- Installing a humidifier in your home
- Taking breaks from staring at computer and cell phone screens
- Wearing sunglasses while driving or walking in sunny weather
- Taking omega-3 fatty acid supplements to help keep your eyes hydrated
- Drinking plenty of water
- Reducing the number of eye cosmetics you wear, especially powdered eyeshadow
- Making an appointment with your optometrist if dryness, burning and stinging of your eyes continue for more than three days
Complications of Dry Eyes
When left untreated, dry eyes may cause recurring infections like conjunctivitis (pink eye) due to reduced eye fluids necessary for washing out bacteria entering the eye. Excessive dryness may eventually damage tissues or produce corneal scarring requiring more extensive treatment. Contact lens wearers with dry eyes could also suffer an increased risk of eye infections as well.
If winter is making your eyes dry and irritated, call Visionary Eye Care today in Lutz, FL at (813) 425-9596 to schedule an appointment with our optometrist for dry eye treatment.