Many people see the doctor every year for a physical. Most of us also schedule regular visits to the dentist to get our teeth cleaned. But what about our eyes? It’s important to take care of your eyes — just like you take care of the rest of our body!
Healthy Vision Month is the perfect time to learn how to protect your eyes — and to spread the word about simple steps we can take now to prevent vision loss later. This year, we’re encouraging young adults ages 25 to 35 to make vision a priority for years to come.
Check out a few easy ways you can keep your eyes healthy:
- Wear sunglasses (even on cloudy days!)
- Eat eye-healthy foods
- Get plenty of physical activity
- Give your eyes a rest
- Protect your eyes — at work and at play
- Sunglasses can protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays and help keep your vision sharp. When shopping for shades, look for a pair that blocks out at least 99% of both UVA and UVB radiation.
- It’s true: carrots, are good for your eyes! In fact, a diet rich in a variety of fruits and vegetables — especially dark leafy greens, like spinach or kale — can help keep your eyes healthy.
- Regular physical activity comes with a lot of great benefits. It can boost your mood, reduce stress, help you stay at a healthy weight — and protect you from serious eye diseases!
- If you spend a lot of time at the computer or on your phone, you may forget to blink — and that can tire out your eyes. Try using the 20–20–20 rule throughout the day: every 20 minutes, look away from the screen and focus about 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds.
- Protect your eyes from injury by wearing protective eyewear, like safety glasses, goggles, and safety shields. To make sure you have the right kind of protective eyewear and you’re using it correctly, talk with your eye doctor at Visionary Eye Care.
So what’s your vision of the future?
Show us your vision of the future! Use #MyVisionMyFuture and the language below on social media throughout the month to share the steps you’re taking now to protect your vision in the future.
“I ___ now so I can see ___ in the future.” #MyVisionMyFuture
For example: I wear sunglasses now so I can see the Grand Canyon in the future.
Whether you’re looking forward to taking in the view from your corner office or setting your sights on the Eiffel Tower — you can take simple steps now to make sure you’re seeing your best when that day comes. To learn more about Healthy Vision Month and how to take care of your eyes, check out the Healthy Vision Month website.